2nd Annual WHS Scavenger Hunt
The Wellington Historical Society’s community scavenger hunt returns this year, packaging local history lessons into a family-friendly community event. Participants will collect photos of Wellington landmarks by solving the clues and while learning a bit about the people and stories of Wellington’s past. Complete the hunt and earn tickets for prize drawings at the event finale.
The scavenger hunt takes place at the Promenade on Lake Wellington at 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 25th. Join other participants for refreshments and a chance at prizes donated by area businesses.
It was on March 28, 1996 that the Village of Wellington became operational after residents voted the previous year to create their own local government.
But the history of Wellington goes back to the community’s earliest days – and so do the clues in the scavenger hunt. Learn a bit about Charles Oliver Wellington for whom the community is named, and other pioneers who helped shape Wellington. Players will have an opportunity to win prizes for successfully finding the answers to the 25 clues contained in the scavenger hunt.
The scavenger hunt is self-paced, is ideal for a small group of friends, civic groups, or family members and is family friendly.
At the conclusion of the scavenger hunt, participants can join the Wellington Historical Society and community partners, The Village of Wellington and The Wellington Chamber of Commerce on the Promenade for prize drawings.
So, how does it work?
- Register for the Scavenger Hunt: Cost is $25 for up to 5 team members.
- Registration opens on January 21st. Receive the clues in your confirmation e-mail (this means that early registrants have additional time to follow the clues and take photos). Participants may begin the scavenger hunt as soon as they receive the clues and there is no requirement to visit the sites in any specific order.
- You must take a selfie of you and your group in front of the landmark for each of the 25 clues.
- Post your photos in one post and tag the Wellington Historical Society Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/WellingtonHistoricalSociety) or on Instagram (@wellingtonhistoricalsociety). If you do not have a Facebook or Instagram, you can send your photos to [email protected].
- For every five correct answers, you will receive ONE raffle ticket. If each team member shares the post on their social media, you will receive an additional ticket per shared post of completed items.
- Join the Wellington Historical Society between 2 and 5 p.m. on Saturday, February 25th at the Wellington Promenade on Lake Wellington behind the Wellington Community Center, 12150 Forest Hill Blvd. You’ll receive tickets to place into the receptacles for a chance to win the prize drawings of your choice. Drawings will begin at 4:00 p.m. and winners will be announced.
Hint: Many of the answers can be found in our Online Archives at wellingtonhistoricalsociety.org or you can even ask a long-time resident who is a neighbor, family member or friend. Also, many of the answers can be found through Internet searches!
What are you waiting for?